How do you sort the true and truly bullshit information that gets hurled in all directions on a constant basis? Who’s opinions do you trust? How do you spot an agenda?
Michael Shermer, editor of Skeptic Magazine, has a simple 10-point checklist for drilling through bullshit and finding the gold. I mean… if bullshit actually contained gold. Anyway… memorize these steps and stop believing every damn thing you hear.
Michael Shermer’s 10-Point Baloney Kit
- How reliable is the source of the claim?
- Does the source make similar claims?
- Have the claims been verified by somebody else?
- Does this fit with the way the world works?
- Has anyone tried to disprove the claim?
- Where does the preponderance of evidence point?
- Is the claimant playing by the rules of science?
- Is the claimant providing positive evidence?
- Does the new theory account for as many phenomena as the old theory?
- Are personal beliefs driving the claim?
Via Brain Pickings